In this session we will have more insight in the different features available in Oracle Enterprise Manager to deploy custom applications.
- Use out-of-the-box models to represent your services
- Monitor your applications from end-user perspective (pro-active and passive)
- Monitor your application specific metrics => expose via JMX and Web Services
- Build reports
What is a custom application?
- J2EE Applications
- Applications exposing metadata via JMX or Web Services
- Oracle Forms Applications
- Web-based applications (.net, php)
1a. EM Feature: Pro-active monitoring :
In pro-active monitoring you’re tracking the known transactions for your application.
- Web transactions: intuitive recorder => playback transactions from Beacon (EM agent)
- Forms transactions: intuitive recorder for Forms 10.1.2, 9.0.4 and 6i applications
- Generic service tests: to test any protocol-based services
1b. EM Feature: End-user monitoring:
In end-user monitoring you don’t know which transactions will get launched, so you need to listen for them.
Passive end-user monitoring:
- Watch URL Response times => by domain, region, visitor, web server
- Forms 10.1.2 => commit, query, runform, callform, newform
2. Service-level dashboard: monitoring of SLA’s
3. Application Diagnostics for Java (AD4J):
An agent running on the application server to diagnose Java Applications.
- No performance overhead and instrumentation complexity of BCI based tools
- Transaction tracing capability => java transactions through db sessions and vice versa
- Oracle, non-Oracle, Java Servers & Standalone Java Applications
4. Infrastructure diagnostics:
- Historical views and trends
- Monitoring templates
- Alerts, notifications
5. Management Plug-in:
Extend Enterprise Manager functionelity for custom components using Management Plug-in.
How to create a management plug-in:
- Define metrics to collect and tresholds
- Develop metadata file (in XML file) to declare metrics, associate scripts
- Validate using ILINT
- Package in management plug-in archive (MPA)
How to create management plug-in for Web Services, JMX:
- Run CLI (Command Line Utility) JMX or Webservice
- Package Management Plug-in Archive
6. Custom Application Monitoring:
- Out-of-the-box homepage for all custom applications
- No need to write UI code
- Provides consolidated view of availability and alerts
- Reporting available using PL/SQL API
For more information there’s an Oracle By Example available on OTN.